6 zucchini (or more)
2 – 1 quart jar thick marinara sauce
1 onion sliced
1/4 pound mushrooms sliced
1 tablespoon oregano dried, crushed
1 tablespoon basil dried, crushed
salt & pepper
sunflower seed toasted (optional)Slice zucchini 1/2-inch thick.
Spread thick layer using half of marinara sauce in 13- x 9-inch baking dishAdd layer of half of zucchini slices. Top with half of onion and mushrooms, then sprinkle with half of oregano and basil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover with second layer of remaining sauce and repeat layering process, onion, mushrooms, oregano, and basil. Top with remaining Marinara sauce and garnish with sunflower seeds.Bake at 350F 45 minutes, or until zucchini is cooked but not mushy.Tuesday:Hummus2 (15-ounce) cans or 4 1/3 cups cooked garbanzo beans rinsed and drained
3 garlic cloves peeled and minced
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons sesame tahini (sesame paste)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest (finely grated)
1/2 teaspoon salt
pita breadCombine beans, garlic, lemon juice, tahini, cumin, paprika, lemon zest and salt in a food processor with the metal blade or in a blender. Process until smooth. Serve with crackers or pita bread.Wednesday:
2 Large Eggplants
(optional) 8 oz. extra firm tofu
2 red bell peppers
1 medium onion, chopped
3 tsp. minced garlic
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
1 cup vegetable stock
½ c. pearl barley
2 c. baby spinach
3 tbs. chopped fresh basil
Red pepper flakes to taste
1. Skin and chop eggplant into cubes.
2. Coat large nonstick skillet with 2 tbs. olive oil or nonstick cooking spray. Over medium-high heat, cook eggplant, onion, red peppers, garlic, and tofu until veggies have softened.
3. Add tomatoes, stock and barley. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until barley is tender.
4. Stir in spinach and basil into mixture.
1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion
3 leeks sliced
3 large baking potatoes peeled and cut in small pieces
1 box vegetable broth
Saute leeks, onion and olive oil. Cover & cook for 20 minutes.
Stir in potato & cook 15 more minutes covered
Add 1 box vegetable broth, 1 tsp salt & 1/4 tsp pepper.
Bring to boil. Reduce heat & simmer. She lets it simmer 1-2 hours.
You can either cool and blend in batches in the blender OR use a potato masher right in your pot.
1. Wash the quinoa in several changes of cold water, until the water runs clear, and then drain well. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium in a saucepan. Add the drained quinoa and cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes. Add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until all of the water is absorbed and the quinoa is cooked (10 to 15 minutes.).