Each time we do the Daniel Fast I like to find new recipes to use and I have tried a couple this week that my family loved and I wanted to share with you. You can find the others that I posted earlier this week here.
Quinoa Chili (Vegetarian)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced (1 3/4 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups water (or chicken broth if not making vegetarian)
- 1 (7 oz) can diced green chiles
- 2 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 (15 oz) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed (I used one dark red, one light red)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Heat olive oil in a large enameled cast iron pot over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot add onion and saute until tender, about 4 minutes, adding in garlic during last 30 seconds of sauteing. Add in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, cooked quinoa, water (start with 1 1/2 cups then add more later if desired), green chiles, chili powder, cumin, cocoa, paprika, sugar, coriander, cayenne pepper and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture just to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, cover pot and allow to simmer 30 minutes.
- Add in all beans, corn, cilantro and lime and cook until heated through. Serve warm with optional toppings and sides (cheddar, sour cream, diced avocados, saltine crackers or tortilla chips).
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy
Cucumber, Celery and Avocado Soup
1 large cucumber (save 1/2 cup for serving)
1 cup spinach
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1 cup coconut water
1/2 cup celery, chopped
Pinch of chili flakes, ore more to taste
Pinch of sea salt
Put all ingredients except the celery and extra cucumber in a blender, and blend until smooth. Divide the chopped celery and chopped extra cucumber into two bowls, and cover each with half of the blended soup.
This soup is served cold and very fast to make. You can store in an air-tight container for an easy to-go lunch.
Recipe from Paprika Recipe Manager.