What an amazing day at C3Church.com we had this weekend!
It was Kingdom Builders update weekend: We have had over 700 decisions for Christ so far this year, we sponsored 85 Watoto children last weekend, we have given over 12,000 pairs of shoes to Haiti, and yesterday’s Kingdom Builder offering is going to build a water well and church in South India. You guys are amazing, and we are making an eternal difference all around the world!!
Matt continued his sermon series FREE and taught from Galatians 5 on the 10 Acts of the sinful nature. Our theme verse is Galatians 5:1 “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.”
Matt taught from Galatians 5:19-21 “The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.”
I loved how Matt challenged us to not think of other people as we went down this list, but to look at our own lives and see what the Holy Spirit is wanting to change in me. Say this, “The change begins with Me!”
Say it again, “The change begins with ME!!!”
1. Hatred –
Prov. 10:12 “ Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs.”
Luke 6:27 “But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.”
Romans 12:9 “Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.”
What are you clinging to?
2. Discord – Lack of agreement. If we live in harmony we complement each other, however, discord competes with one another.
3. Jealousy – Fearful of loosing affection or a position.
4. Fits of rage – violent and explosive anger.
5. Selfish ambition – Philippians 2:3 “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.”
One way to overcome selfish ambition is to rejoice when good things happen to other people. You are not going to feel like it in the flesh, but through the power of the Holy Spirit you can and once you do it feels great!!!
6. Dissensions – not unity
“a temper stirs up dissension” Proverbs 15:18
“a perverse man stirs up dissension” Proverbs 16:28
“greed stirs up dissension” Proverbs 28:25
7. Factions – group or click forms excluding other people.
8. Envy – Proverbs 14:30 “A heart at peace gives life to the body, “but envy rots the bones.”
9. Drunkenness – Ephesians 5:18 “Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.”
Whatever we are filled with that is what is going to control us.
10. Orgies – today’s modern term is called swinging.
Romans 13:12 & 13 “The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light. Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy.”
My encouragement to you is to go back and see which one, two or three…… 🙂 you struggle with and really start asking the Holy Spirit to help you overcome.
You can listen to the podcast here and then you can hear all the personal stories from the sermon. (It will be posted later today if it isn’t there when you click)
My prayer is that you live FREE this week,