A year ago I made it a goal to read through the Bible in a year, and I DID IT! On the morning of December 31, 2010 I finished reading through the Bible in a year. First time ever. Don’t judge me. Some of you are saying WOW! and some of you are tempted to say you haven’t done that yet? Either way, I did it!
Of course, I procrastinated during the year at times so the last month I was reading many chapters and books at a time, but God gave me the grace to finish.
This morning I was up praying and deciding what I was going to do this year. Last year I used the chronological reading. I do like having a reading plan because it keeps me focused. I will probably do The Life Journal. You can either buy a Life Journal in the Source or go to Youversion and download the reading plan and use your own journal. I also like to write down thoughts using the SOAP method. (this is explained in the Life Journal)
But here are some thoughts and observation I learned while reading through the Bible in a year:
- There is no way we can understand God. His way are not our way and His thoughts are not our thoughts. There were some things I read and I just had to say, “God you are a big God and I don’t understand You.” 🙂
- Even in the books that are more statistical God still showed me something and spoke to me.
- When I was reading and wondering how is this going to benefit me I reminded myself – Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. So I was building my faith.
- God is a God who wants to be obeyed!
- God is Love.
- Jesus Loves me. (and you)
- Jesus came to the Jews first but also for the Gentiles. (Paul made that very clear and I was glad because I am a gentile)
- I loved what it did for me spiritually.
- I might even do it again this year because I loved being in God’s Word.
You may or may not read through the Bible in a year, but let me encourage you to get in the Word of God. It will renew your mind, give you wisdom, correct you, encourage you, change you and so much more.
It’s going to be a great year!