We are officially in the first week of the 21 Days of Prayer and Fasting! This week I’ll be sharing some of my family’s favorite recipes with you. I’ll be posting the second set of recipes later this week, so stay tuned!
Tip: Water is a great filler when you get a little hungry, and most of us don’t drink enough water to begin with. The first few days of the fast it is especially important to drink lots of water because you will most likely experience headaches. The more water you drink, the less intense and frequent your headaches should be. It is recommended to drink 1/2 your body weight in oz of water. (example – if you weigh 100 lbs 1/2 in ounces would be 50 ounces) This will help ward off headaches and aids the detoxing process.
Quinoa & Black Bean Salad
1 cup Quinoa
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 1/2 cups cooked Black Beans
1 1/2 cups Corn (thawed if frozen)
3/4 cup finely chopped Red Bell Pepper
1 Jalapeno Peppers (seeded & minced)
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh Cilantro
1/3 cup fresh Lime juice
1 1/2 teaspoons ground Cumin
1 Garlic Cloves (minced)
1 teaspoon Salt
Substitutions: We use 3 tbsp sesame seed oil (instead of olive oil) & a little sea salt + Cumin per taste for each cup of Quinoa to flavor the Quinoa before boiling. We also use straight vegetable broth (2 liquid cups per 1 dry cup of Quinoa) and we like to add a little extra Jalapeño
1. Wash the quinoa in several changes of cold water, until the water runs clear, and then drain well. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium in a saucepan. Add the drained quinoa and cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes. Add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until all of the water is absorbed and the quinoa is cooked, 10 to 15 minutes. (I cook my in my rice cooker)
2. Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl and allow to cool. Add the beans, corn, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, and cilantro and toss well. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, cumin, garlic and salt. Add the remaining 1/3 cup of olive oil in a stream while whisking. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve right away or keep covered in the refrigerator overnight (bring to room temperature before serving.).
Vegetable Stir Fry
2 Small Onions
2 Red Bell Peppers
2 Bunch Broccoli Florets
2 Water Chestnuts (small can)
2 cans Baby Ear Corn
1/2 cup Soy Sauce
1. Sauté’ first three ingredients in olive oil and soy sauce until slightly tender.
2. Add zucchini and just before done add water chestnuts and baby corn.
3. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
4. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes and serve over brown rice.
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 cup Onion (finely chopped)
1/2 cup Zucchini (chopped)
1/2 cup frozen Green Beans
1/4 cup minced Celery (about 1/2 stalk)
4 tsp Garlic (minced)
4 cups Vegetable Broth
1-14 ounce Diced Tomato
2-15 ounces cans Red Kidney Beans (drained)
2-15 ounces cans White Kidney Beans (drained)
1/2 cup Carrot (chopped)
3 cups hot water
2 tbsp Parsley
1 1/2 tsp Oregano
3 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Basil
1/4 tsp Thyme
4 cups fresh Baby Spinach
1. In a large soup pot, saute’ onion, zucchini, green beans, celery, and garlic in olive oil for 5 minutes.
2. Add broth, tomatoes, beans, carrots, water, parsley, oregano, salt, pepper, basil, and thyme.
3. Simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Add baby spinach and cook an additional 20 minutes.
White Bean Chili
4 cans Northern Beans (drained)
3 cans Vegetable Broth
1 cup Water
1 1/4 cups Onions (chopped)
2 Cloves Garlic (minced)
1/2 tsp Salt
1 (4-ounce) can Green Chili (chopped)
1 1/2 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Oregano (dried)
1/4 tsp Red Pepper (ground)
1/4 tsp Clover (ground)
1. Place all ingredients in a large (5 quart) heavy pot.
2. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer at least 30 min.
Daniel Fast Friendly Baked Potato
Directions: Prepare like you normally would, then, I suggest drizzling olive oil and adding sautéed mushrooms. You can try other vegetables, but mushrooms are my favorite!
I hope you and your family enjoy these recipes as much as my family and I do. If you try a recipe, leave a comment below and let me know!